Monday, June 29, 2009

Who We Are & What We Do

I guess I have a hard time to figure out why those around me define others by what they do rather than who they are. I can't understand why someone's job is so important. I guess if someone's interests and talents are considered 'cool' to someone, it might lead them to think that a person is 'cool' based on their job. I don't think of myself as a teacher and would prefer others do the same. I force my college students to call me Ray cuz it is weird for me to have someone call me Mr. anything. I do not allow my job to define anything about me. I like stuff and it led me towards a job and that's cool. However, a job ain't me. I am me.

Therefore, I don't understand why the hell people are so crazy about Mr. Jackson. He is being praised as if he was God or something. His job as a singer did not make him a person. Let's face it...., he was an odd dude with serious issues. No one cared 1 week ago. Now that he is dead, everyone seems to 'feel bad' and everwhat else they can come up with to say in order to praise him. It is awesome to appreciate his talents and his music. Fine enough! I don't like it, but more power to you if you do. However, it is not him. He was a freak in many respects who gained the world, but lost everything in the process. His life makes me realize how little of importance money is fame are. It ain't even considered shit to me. I just don't want to live a crazy life like that and see no reason why a sane person would.

I never want what I do to define who I am. If I serve donuts, fish, lead a Bible study, run, teach or whatever, it ain't me. I also find it hard to believe that people look at others and judge them by their job. It is a job and they are working. That is cool all alone. They might like their job cleaning bathrooms. A jerk told me that I was never going to amount to anything at Tim Horton's cuz I had worked there for 10 years. What? How could you say that someone is worthless cuz of where they work? Just sayin...., jobs don't make people!

No comments: