Friday, January 29, 2010

Funny Things and Things That Make Me Think

Today is the first day in 7 years that I have called into work and give them the bad news.  I went to bed early last night. I've been a workin' so hard that I've drove myself into the ground. I woke up 2 hours after I went to sleep and I quickly realized that I only had a minute to get to the toilet.  I officially had the flu or something like the runs.  I had to somehow have sub plans on my desk for a sub in the morning. I mustered up enough energy in myself to start to gettin' dressed in order to walk acrosst the cold hard road.  They was this blizzard unlike any that I had seen so far.  The wind was a blowin' so hard and it liketa blowed me over twice.  I had no energy.  I climbed the stairs and pulled out my plans and wrote the board work on the board.  I then had to make it back across the cold hard road to my tiny abode.  It was my first time that I have called in sick since time begun.  Am I a gettin' old or just sick?  I feel much better, but I still feel as if there's a brick or two pressing on my chest.

I started this class at the university just down the road.  It is a very different university experience.  I can walk down either of the two halls and I'm likely to run into 4 people who I know.  Only 8 people may pass me.  This means that I know nearly half of the town in less than 4 months.  I'm taking a class called 'Teaching Academic Classes Online'.  I had many a problem logging in and the prof told me that in the worst case situation, I could just sit in her office. Now, that's distance education for you.  So funny!! I liketa fell out of my chair.  I enjoy the class.  I enjoy school.  I guess it is something that makes me think.

I can't wait for the summer to come a rollin' around again.  I feel like a kid for the first time in a while. There is so much joy for the simple things.  Waiting for the next snowfall or the next summer vacation makes me calm, cool and collected.  When I went 'down states' I had a wonderful time, but I longed to come back to where the 'snow-gos rip' and they know me by name at the store.  I love knowing everyone.  Time and distance erodes some friendships and family relationships, but not for all.  In most cases, there's no such thing as 'quality time' spent with people.  Time spent is time earned toward something that is priceless.  There is no such thing as quality time.  All time is quality.  No time is more important than any other. 

No comments: